A Little Insight

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Change is Hard

Today I wrote a long, thoughtful post about change and my views on how and why people change. Then, before I clicked 'Publish Post', I realized that this is supposed to be a blog, not a dissertation and my posts have been a little long-winded lately. So here are the important parts:

If I could summarize what I think therapy is all about with one word, it would be CHANGE.

People don't like change. Change is hard. Change is uncomfortable.

People usually don't change unless they are uncomfortable enough with the way things are. Not just uncomfortable... but uncomfortable enough. You can be uncomfortable and still not want to change because changing could be even more uncomfortable and because change involves the unknown (which is always scary).

And, finally... change is often not as difficult or scary as we imagine it to be. Change is oten necessary. Change is often good.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger e.kinnear said…

    Um, yeah, just to clarify, this is YOUR blog ... that means you can be long-winded and dissertation-ish if you want. :) Make it whatever you want it to be!

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger Brad said…

    Good point! And since you're the only person that reads it, I guess your vote probably carries some weight!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home