A Little Insight

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

BRAD'S LAW #32

BRAD'S LAW #32 states: "The outdoor air temperature and relative humidity are inversely proportionate to the temperature at which the water in a post-run shower feels freakin' awesome."

It seems like just the other day I was coming in from a run in 30 degree weather and couldn't wait to get into a hot, steamy shower to let my frozen skin thaw. My fingers were tingling and any exposed skin shone red from the cold. I kept turning to make sure each frozen limb got it's fair share of the hot goodness that spewed from the shower head. The steam-filled bathroom acted as a buffer between my hot shower and the colder bedroom outside. Then a clean t-shirt, sweatshirt, and comfy jeans kept the cold at bay.

This morning, it was about 70 degrees outside and humid. That was enough to leave me dripping with sweat and ready to let the deliciously cold water bring my core temp back down. I stood with my arms braced against the shower wall and just soaked my head under the icy water, feeling myself cool off from the outside in. Today was only 70 and humid. Sunday's run was in the low 90's and humid. It required me to linger even longer under the cold man made waterfall!

Sometimes, when the weather is extreme or the run is really rough, the best part about the whole endeavor is when you get to stop. The post-run shower... sitting under a ceiling fan while you dry off... taking a nap spread out on the floor... feeling so spent from putting in such hard work... enjoying being still and breathing easy... it doesn't get much better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home